Super Computer Forum!
Welcome to the Super Computer Forum please Login.

If you have not registered then please click Register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Super Computer Forum!
Welcome to the Super Computer Forum please Login.

If you have not registered then please click Register.
Super Computer Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

External Hard - Drives

5 posters

Go down

External Hard - Drives Empty External Hard - Drives

Post  Nyx Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:25 pm

I'm wanting to cull a lot of stuff from my home. I have been reading about being a Minimialist and some ideas have been to scan documents to your computer and then throw away the hard-copy. I am seeing the need to get a 'External Hard Drive' and am wondering if 2 x 1TB is the way to go or if 1 x 2TB is the way to go. I am wondering as getting 2 x 1TB will mean that if one dies I still have the other one, but then again if I get the 2 TB one I wont have to travel with more than one external hard drive when we move countries.

Does anyone have any idea if the Western Digital Elements external hard-drive is safe enough to have only one copy of data?

Thanks

Nyx

Nyx

Back to top Go down

External Hard - Drives Empty Re: External Hard - Drives

Post  Admin Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm

Yes western digital is the most reliable brand of External hard drive! 2x 1tb hard drive would make more sense as backing up documents and photos is fine but music and movies it is Illegal even if you have paid for them and you own them. Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://supercomputerforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyx Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:42 pm

I hadn't thought about needing a back up of the back up! I guess hard drives can fail even if they are external! I wonder how many people get caught out with that....thinking that the external hard drive wont ever die and then losing everything.

Would you happen to know of where an article is on that law regarding what it's okay to take a copy of and what its not?

Cheers
Nyx

Nyx

Back to top Go down

Post  erikduop Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:10 am

An external hard disk drive is a type of hard disk drive which is connected to a computer by a USB cable or other means. Modern entries into the market consist of standard SATA, IDE, or SCSI hard drives in portable disk enclosures with USB, eSATAp, eSATA, SCSI, IEEE 1394 Firewire client interfaces to connect to the host computer.
A hard drive is a computer component which holds data. Every Computer requires one hard drive to store OS, Programs and data. These drives are usually internal which is fixed with the hardware of Computer. However, for different needs like: mobility of large amount data or information, threats like: virus and circumstances have arisen, and external hard drive has became extremely popular.
A portable external hard drive is a useful piece of equipment which allows the back up to store information from internal hard drive. And external hard drive is moveable and operates on a plug in and play basis.

erikduop

Back to top Go down

Post  Jame Smeth Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:50 am

There are so many External Hard-drive available in different cases with cooling fan,it is easy to attached the computer with usb port,it is plug n play device.

Jame Smeth

Back to top Go down

Post  lonniedivers Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:22 am

The price difference between a 1GB and 2GB external drive is not that much and will save you from having issues later with backup space. It will also allow Time Machine to keep additional older backups.

lonniedivers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum